Sensitive data is important to every company’s operations. If this data is leaked, subsequent events will only harm your business, up to and including the loss of funds. That is why entrepreneurs try their best to protect it. But what if we tell you that you no longer need to worry about the safety of your confidential data? A virtual data room is a space in which all your documents will be in a completely secure environment, and in this article, we will take a closer look at what kind of protection features VDRs offer us.
What is a virtual data room?
A virtual data room is a special online space that works on the principle of storage for sensitive data. Under the program, entrepreneurs can upload, store and share files with other VDR users without worrying about their security. The Data Room uses multiple ways to protect itself so that the result is a multi-layered security system. The quality of security is determined by the type of certificate that the program has purchased for your protection.
How secure is the Virtual Data Room?
The concept and main goal of any data room are to provide robust security, this is the priority of all VDR vendors, and in most cases, they succeed in achieving this. VDRs are considered one of the safest ways to store documents digitally.
As mentioned above, the type of certificate used by the data room plays a major role. By far the best is considered to be ISO certificates. If a data room meets ISO standards, then it is worthy of protecting your valuable information.
Below we will explain in more detail in which aspects VDRs help companies stay secure:
- Secure information storage – A high-level system for protecting your information in the data room can match the level of protection used in financial or government institutions. You can rest assured that your sensitive data will be safe in all kinds of “weather”
- Secure file sharing with customers- the fact that VDR allows free and secure exchange of files in its space makes it a great helper during many business processes, such as transactions or due diligence
- Secure file sharing-some VDRs provide clients with additional project management tools that allow them to work together on something online in real-time
What features make virtual data rooms secure?
Below, we’ll explain in more detail how data rooms manage to provide this level of security:
- Secure encryption methods – Encryption encrypts absolutely every file that enters its space. You can safely use them inside the program, but to get them out of the system in the same form you need a special key. Without it, your files will become completely useless to cybercriminals
- Document access control – the virtual data room pricing should have this feature in its arsenal. The VDR administrator can decide which documents are allowed to be viewed by one user or another. He can also limit the interaction with the document, e.g. allow only viewing, and prohibit all other functions (copying, printing, etc.)
- Digital Watermarks – These marks indicate your ownership and let you see who is viewing or printing the document, which prevents the information from leaking
- Two-factor authentication – a complicated login process is justified. This way you protect your password and significantly reduce the chance of hacking through an employee’s password
- Monitoring – This function allows you to see the actions of all users in the room and to see which user is viewing which document. This also protects against data leaks and misuse of VDRs